The Sala del Capitano
AT FIRST GLANCE
Sala del Capitano del Popolo is dedicated to Guglielmo Boccanegra, Captain of the People, who entrusted Friar Oliverio with the construction of Palazzo San Giorgio in 1260. Before the 20th-century restoration, Sala del Capitano was divided into three separate spaces. It is the result of a reinterpretation of the entire volume of the palace by Alfredo D’Andrade, who was in charge of the restoration of the building.
The polychromy of the ceramic chosen by D’Andrade reproduces ancient Genoese motifs. The statues of the benefactors of the Bank of Saint George are in the centre, inside painted niches (only one of which is made of marble). The ceiling of the room is made of wood, with recurring joists, carved and painted red. The room is completed by a large wooden table and two bronze chandeliers that are a copy of an original 14th-century chandelier kept in the Church of Saint George in Castiglione Olona.